Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011, the year of the running video

2011 was definitely the year when the trail running video came of age. Salomon Running has continued to put out great clips, like this year end video:


Joel Wolpert at Running Times did nice videos of Geoff Roes and Anton Krupicka and Arc'teryx put one out of me running earlier this year. Apparently, and luckily, they haven't stopped coming. I just saw this most recent clip by Asics of Emmanuel Gault who beat me at the CCC, which he won convincingly. I had a chance to talk with him briefly after the race and, unsurprisingly, he was all class. He was a tough competitor on the trail and a gracious, yet proud winner of the event. It's been a recurring theme with most of the runners I've been fortunate to meet and compete against on the trails.
It was great to see a clip of him going after it in a beautiful setting. It inspired me to go for a run in treacherous conditions tonight, which is about as much as you can ask of any running video, so big kudos to them for putting it out. The variety and quality of the videos this year have been top notch and it's a great step forward for the sport. I haven't seen Unbreakable yet, but enthusiasm and the online comments that I've read have all been positive-clearly people in the sport were hungry for and appreciate all of the efforts of the filmmakers & those involved in their production-so thanks to them for their hard work. I look forward to more in 2012.



In non-running, I also just saw these two amazing videos. Water and mountain sport/adventure videos have inspired me for years and the art form is thriving. Lightweight gear, skilled talent and unique global settings combine to show off the culture of the sport and of the places these modern day adventurers trek to. Since my evening run combined the ocean (where I started), a summit (where I ventured), heavy rain, river crossings, ice, snow and howling winds, these two clips are highly appropriate:

Water:

Antandroy from Band-Originale on Vimeo.



Snow & Ice:

Argentina: A Skier's Journey EP3 [Season 2] from Jordan Manley Photography on Vimeo.

No comments: